Friday 29 January 2010

Ethnic Minority Politicians

I first noticed the term ‘BME’ only a few weeks ago, and I choose not to remember exactly what the initials stand for -- something to do with ethnic minorities, and by implication their promotion.
I’ve been unwittingly promoting ethnic minority politicians for years, not because of their background, but because of what they have to offer regardless of their ancestry. I find the BME agenda distasteful.
There was nevertheless a row yesterday about the fact that Operation Black Vote was quick to report the selection of Labour’s Stanwell County Councillor Victor Agarwal for the marginal seat of Swindon North, yet it took them a while to catch up on the selection of Conservative Kwasi Kwarteng for the winnable seat of Spelthorne.
I was however grateful for OBV’s fulsome apology.
For me, Spelthorne has the best candidate in Kwasi, and Swindon are welcome to Cllr Agarwal (though not as an MP).

No comments:

Post a Comment