Friday 15 January 2010

Soft on Criminals, Tough on Victims

In a final betrayal of New Labour’s original 1997 pledges it is clear that Britain is now soft on criminals and tough only on their victims.
In America you knock on a stranger’s door to ask for help at your peril, as you are liable to be shot dead, no questions asked.
This week Myleene Klass was reprimanded by police for “illegally” brandishing a knife inside her own kitchen at youths taunting her from out in the garden. She was scared to death.
Personally I don’t have a problem. As long as I know where I am and where the exits are, I’ll roam the toughest housing estates, even after dark. All I fear is the embarrassment of being dowsed by a flagon of water in the summer, or feral youths firing snowballs at me in the winter. I’m fit enough to run away.
However far too many of our elders are imprisoned in their own homes after dark for fear of being attacked. This is not the kind of society I aspire to.

No comments:

Post a Comment