Saturday 9 January 2010

True Grit

Despite the national shortage of grit for our roads the Prime Minister announced in Parliament that there’s plenty to go round. Now the Whitehall emergency planning committee (Cobra) has started rationing salt between councils. Somehow I don’t think Tory Surrey will get much priority.
My 4x4 copes just fine, though other offroaders seem to think they are immune to the conditions and drive like crazy. Negotiating the ice on my bicycle is not quite so easy, requiring both feet on the ground to come to a halt -- a bit like when I was a toddler.
Despite stockpiling thousands of tons of salt more than last year, Surrey County Council is now having to preserve dwindling stocks. Many key roads, like the one outside my house are missing out. This came as a shock to the drivers of a school bus and a car which collided head-on this morning. No injuries, but expect next year’s car insurance premiums to rocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment