Monday 28 December 2009

Akmal Shaikh

Fresh from hosting the complete failure of the Copenhagen climate change summit, the European Union again finds itself utterly impotent on the world stage.
Tomorrow morning China is set to execute the first European citizen in half a century, after choosing to ignore pleas from most civilized peoples. This is too big an issue for them to be worried about “saving face”.
Opposition to the death penalty is something I agree with the EU about, and whilst I also oppose drug trafficking, it is hardly a capital crime of which Akmal Shaikh is accused. To say nothing of the man’s poor mental state, further grounds for acquittal. Oh, and I might mention the barbaric method by which the Chinese Communists dispatch their victims -- a bullet to the head.
I somehow doubt that China will kow-tow.

Update 9am, 29 December 2009: Akmal Shaikh R.I.P. -- In China, life is cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment