Sunday 27 December 2009

Leicestershire North West

Yesterday’s very sad death and untimely of David Taylor MP for Leicestershire North West prompts me to hurry up and get my EBT (electron beam tomography) -- see my blog three days ago. Mr Taylor was fit and healthy having run several marathons in the 1980s, and since then taken up long distance cycling around the UK.
I wonder if Gordon Brown will be brave enough to call a by-election before he has to go to the country? It is an eminently winnable seat for the Conservatives with a fine candidate in Andrew Bridgen. He was selected three years ago and is now well respected in the area, where he runs a family business producing pre-prepared vegetables.
It would be revenge for my own visit to the Leicester South by-election in July 2004 when the Tories were squeezed into third place. At that time the Liberals were on a roll with their anti Iraq War stance, gaining the seat from Labour with a 21% swing. (The seat returned to Labour at the following year’s General Election). I remember spending the day with Peter Bone MP and his campaign team from Wellingborough.

No comments:

Post a Comment